Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing 19

Even though I appreciated what the podcast directories were trying to do, I had difficulty making everything work correctly.

When I tried to reach NPR through the local podcast directory for NPR, I could not stream the podcast without first searching for a player online to use, or saving it to my computer. Yet when I went to NPR through podcast.net I was able to stream it right from the website. The variety of formats as well as the different programs on the particular computer being used is still a thorn in the side of these directories working smoothly. I did listen to a broadcast of the Anniversary of the 35W bridge collapse.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=93162524&m=93162506


My most common use of podcasts is when they are available on the news or sports websites that I enjoy following. I don't particularly feel the need to create a podcast myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gary,
Do you think podcasts would be a way for your students to share their ideas with a wider audience? I encourage you to check out gcast and gabcast, which allows you to create a podcast over the phone. Molly and I would be able to assist.